Monday 30 November 2009

La Parfumerie - part deux

As promised, this is the second part of my perfume rundown featuring the other half in my collection...

Estee Lauder Pleasures
My first ever perfume - I think it's about 10 years old now, but it's still fairing well! It's not my favourite these days but I think that's more because I've changed a lot and so have my tastes. That and I think since it was first brought out perfumes have vastly improved. But getting to the point this fragrance is perfect for those girls who love their florals. Their are hints of sandalwood and rose in this fragrance. I think you could wear it day or night really, but I choose to wear it in the evening because I feel it's a little on the stronger side (that maybe because my bottle's matured though.)


Kylie Minogue Couture
I'm still not sure about the celebrity movement in the perfume industry. I can't decide whether they've cheapened it by all cashing in or made perfume more attainable and accessible to everyone. Sometimes the fragrances produced are blatent copycats of brilliant designer fragrances but with a celebrity's name plastered on the front of the bottle. It's one way to make money for them I guess, but I don't think they're all of high quality. I once smelt one celeb perfume that was so close - correction - too close to Ralph Lauren Blue. I wasn't impressed.

Nevertheless there are three perfumes in my collection that are celebrity fragrances. Before you call me a hypocrite, they were all given to me! The first, being Kylie Minogue's Couture, came free in my goody bag at the Clothes Show Live this year. I actually quite like the fact that it comes in a roller-ball bottle so I can roll it onto pulse points. It means I can put more of a specific amount just where I want it as opposed to a spritzer/atomiser (I think however this version might only be for the sample bottles which is a shame). Despite my doubts of celeb scents, this is my favourite of them tried and tested so far - I find it works well both day and night and makes me feel really uplifted and ready for anything.

Christina Aguilera - Christina Aguilera
This perfume is lovely, sweet, soft and very feminine - the lace print detail on the bottle and sexy black ribbon around the neck perfectly match the undertones in the scent as when I wear it I feel very classy and ready for a night out on the tiles. Definitely a night number for a lady who likes to have fun!


J Lo Love at First Glow
Bought for me for my 21st birthday *sigh* Whilst I'm really not sure about the name, this perfume is perfect for younger women and teenage friends/relatives - the bottle's pink and very girly with a sparkly mobile phone charm wrapped around the neck of the bottle. It's a very musky scent without being heavy so it makes a perfect daytime perfume, brilliant for heading out for lunch with friends or family or wearing to work.

Ralph Lauren Ralph Rocks
Surprise, surprise, yet another Ralph Lauren fragrance! This one instead is a fruity, citrusy version of the original Ralph Lauren Ralph scent, which I can also thoroughly recommend. Whilst the original is a bit headier this one smells delicious, I think it actually makes my mouth water a bit. This might be owing to the orangeflower overtones. This too would make a perfect scent for a younger woman or even a teenage girl as the scent's fresh and light and the packaging reflects the citrusy notes - it's wonderfully bright and therefore would make a very fun perfume to give away!


There we have it - 10 scents trialled, tested and highly recommended. These perfumes often come in sets at this time of year, perfect for gift-giving. They often come with accompanying moisturisers and shower gels which mean you get more bang for your buck and your loved one gets three gifts in one - triple the fun! If you have any questions about any of the scents please feel free to post them in the comments box and I'll get back to you.

For more perfume perfection, check out the December issue of Vogue magazine feature on the language of perfume and also the Vogue TV 'making of' video 'The Sound of Scent' - if you can stand to watch lots of beautiful perfume bottles be smashed into a gazillion pieces for art that is...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin