Friday 6 November 2009

Ossie Clark

Today, for no particular reason, other than my love for his work, I just wanted to share inspiration from one of my favourite designers in the world - Ossie Clark.

The peak of his career was during my favourite era- the 60s and 70s. I love everything about the designs - the paisley, the floaty fabrics and bias cuts that were so hugely flattering for women's figures. For me, his work epitomised the 'free' feeling of the swinging 60s! For some romantic reason I've often been drawn to this decade...

Ossie, who's real name was Raymond, was also a 'Northerner', born in Warrington and raised in Oswaldtwistle (where my Mum went to school, haha!) which inspired his nickname "Ossie". He grew up creating dresses for friends and family and his talents were spotted early on by his Art teacher who gave him Vogue magazines to further inspire and indulge his creative flair for fashion.

Unfortunately when fashion moved on well into the 80s Ossie lost everything when his line just wasn't appealing anymore. His personal life had also been fraught with difficulties in love having gone through a reported turbulent love affair with David Hockney and divorce from the love of his life Celia Birtwell. His life tragically ended in 1996 at the hands of a former lover.

This year's recession has also affected the rebirth of the Ossie Clark brand and sadly the label has closed after no less than 12 months' trading. I wonder if we'll ever see someone have another attempt at reviving the label when the economy has picked up... Or maybe, like many great creations, it should be left in the past and be remembered and treasured for what it was...

Here are a few pictures and pieces that I really love - I hope you enjoy them as much as I do...



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin