Thursday 29 October 2009

The Mission to find a Face Primer...

A few weeks ago I was asked to review a face primer - specifically one of the new Urban Decay face primers that came out recently. I didn't rate it at all. Not one to leave it at that I wanted to seek out an alternative that could come in handy for all you makeup lovers. I chose to buy and trial Too Faced's Primed and Poreless Face Primer.

Could I find it at any of the Too Faced counters? Nope. I tried Boots, Debenhams and even online stores that sell Too Faced (which isn't many at the moment). None of them had it in stock. I then checked the shelf labels at the counters to see if it was supposed to be in, hoping that they were perhaps awaiting delivery but none of the shelf labels listed the primer at all. It would appear that no UK Too Faced counter/online store sells the face primer... Bizarre.

Now I'm feeling sheepish for saying I'd buy it and review it before I even got my hands on it. Having said that, considering practically all of the Too Faced range is available in stores you'd think that the primer would be too...

I'm very sorry for not being able to deliver the review, but I promise the quest hasn't stopped there! I will continue to search long and hard for an alternative primer to Urban Decay's but in the meantime I can't recommend enough the GOSH primer that I myself use everyday to keep my foundation in place!

But I didn't want this post to be all bad news. Instead of reviewing their primer, I decided to get my hands on one of the Too Faced eyeshadow kits. They look so cute in all of their packaging and this one in particular just drew me in. I must say I'm pretty impressed...

Too Faced's Natural Eye Kit
Natural eyes, whilst many of us want to achieve them on a day to day basis, can be quite difficult to achieve. Well this is where this kit comes in handy. All the eyeshadows come in a box and when you lift the lid you'll discover 9 different eyeshadow colours, along with 3 different helpful cards telling you how to complete various looks depending on what you're after and the occassion.

The eyeshadows are nicely laid out together so you know which shadows to use for each look. Of the looks available you can choose from:
  • Day
  • Classic
  • Fashion
'Day' is the nudest look, and the eyeshadows needed for this look are the top row within the box. You'll find a lovely cream colour 'Heaven' for the highlight, a nice nude brown shade 'Velvet Revolver' for the lids, and a lovely coffee colour, 'Sexpresso' for the accent shade.

The second row belongs to the 'Classic' look. Here you'll find 'Silk Teddy', a shimmery soft pink shade to go as a highlight, 'Pushup' and 'Erotica' as your shade for your crease.

The final row as you may have guessed is designed for the 'Fashion' look. These three shades consist of 'Nude Beach', 'Honey Pot' and 'Cocoa Puff'.

The first thing you'll notice about these shades even by just dipping your finger in them and not using a primer or base is that they are really pigmented and are of very high quality. I was really impressed with the strength of the colour achieved, so with an eyeshadow base you really don't need that much to achieve the look you're after. They also blend beautifully and their lasting power? Perfect. They don't budge at all.

I'm perhaps not so fond of the shimmery highlight colours as the other shades in the kit but that's just down to personal preference really.

The kit retails at £22.00 which isn't very cheap but you do get 9 eyeshadows for that price, all neatly and well presented within a box which is very light and compact and you could easily take
it away with you on holiday or for that weekend away! Plus with the added bonus of the cards you can really learn from them again and again and perfect those natural peepers.

I really love this eyeshadow set and to prove it I keep using it time and time again both on myself and on others so it really has become a staple in my kit.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin