Monday 24 May 2010

The Maca Experiment

Every so often I like to write posts on health and beauty as what we consume affects our appearance and our well-being. Well, today I'm writing about Maca. I recently discovered Maca Powder in an online health store and I know a lot of people who've never heard of it before so I'll give you a little run-down...

Maca's a Peruvian root vegetable and is otherwise known as a super-food that's been cultivated and consumed by the people of Peru for hundreds of years for its amazing beneficial properties.

It can be taken in tablet form or powder and can be mixed in with cereal, smoothies and so on. It apparently tastes a little like malt or Horlicks! Containing 55 naturally occurring beneficial phyto-chemicals, it provides the body with many advantages such as:
  • Boosting the immune system
  • Improving fertility
  • Boosting energy (a healthier alternative to caffeine!)
  • Improving stamina and well-being
  • Balancing hormones and thereby combating symptoms associated with PMS
Due to the number of minerals, B vitamins and fatty acids it contains, the root is also great for your skin, eyes, hair, teeth, etc. and is a general all-round adaptogen - a substance that raises resistance in the body - that comes thoroughly recommended by health food experts the world over.

Once my packet arrives at All That Glitters HQ I'll be trialling the powder for a month to see how it helps me and to see if it improves all of the above for me as well. I'll be taking note of my progress week by week, so there will be weekly diary updates on what (if any) improvements I've noticed as the days go by.

It's also going to be good fun creating recipes to get it incorporated into my daily diet. So if any of you out there are interested in perhaps trying it out then I'll be posting recipes on here so you too can make your own!

In the meantime, watch this space as I test it out!...

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin